The activities of the Gdańsk Academic Gymnasium were suspended on 10 November 1817. The primary cause was the collapse of the city’s finances, particularly evident after the Napoleonic Wars. However, over two years of teaching law in the gymnasium had an undeniable influence on the originality of Gdańsk law, which was the best system of law that developed in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth before 1795.
The plans for the establishment of the University of Gdańsk, which was also intended to teach law, date back to the time of Sigismund III Vasa. These were not realised partly because of religious tensions between the catholic king and the mostly protestant Gdańsk patricians. The reluctance of the city authorities regarding too much independence of a potential future university was also not without significance. Later, the idea of establishing a university was not facilitated by the turbulent history of the city, located at a sensitive point in Europe. In 1795 the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth ceased to exist due to the partition by the neighbouring countries. As a result, the first higher education institution in Gdańsk became the Royal Higher School of Technology (the future Gdańsk University of Technology). It was established in 1904 to train professional personnel for the shipbuilding industry. The educational authorities of the Kingdom of Prussia and the Empire of Germany and later of the Free City of Gdańsk (Gdańsk was within their borders between 1795 and 1939), were not interested in establishing a non-technical university.
Currently, the Faculty consists of 23 departments and divisions and the staff includes ten full professors, 37 university professors, 61 PhD holders, and 31 master’s degree holders.
- 1558 – Gdańsk Gymnasium
- 1584 – Department of Law at the Gdańsk Academic Gymnasium (former Gdańsk Gymnasium)
- 1970 – University of Gdańsk is founded
- 5 Oct 1970 – first session of the Faculty of Law and Administration Council
- 1971 – first law students at the University of Gdańsk Faculty of Law and Administration
- 1972 – Faculty of Law and Administration receives the right to confer the PhD degree
- 1980 – Faculty of Law and Administration receives the right to confer the doktor habilitowany degree
- 1986 – Prof. Władysław Wolter receives an honorary degree
- 1993 – Francois Mitterand receives an honorary degree
- 1996 – construction of new Faculty of Law and Administration building begins
- 2000 – first lectures in the new Faculty of Law and Administration building
- 2008 – Prof. Ewa Łętowska receives and honorary degree
- 2013 – Criminology programme is launched with record student interest – 44 applicants per place
- 2013 – Law studies introduce an innovative curriculum, which is unique nationally
- 2013 – Bernard Baron von Maydell receives an honorary degree
- 2014 – European Business Administration programme is launched
- 2017 – European and International Business Law programme is launched
- 2017 – Faculty of Law and Administration receives an A category rating
- 2017 – Prof. Lech Garlicki receives an honorary degree
- 2019 – Faculty of Law and Administration hosts Global Law Deans’ Forum and the annual International Association of Law Schools (IALS) forum.
- 2020 – Criminology and Criminal Justice programme is launched
The project is financed by the Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange